Stroke/Carotid Artery Test
The carotid artery/stroke disease screening procedure is simple, painless, and non-invasive. You will be asked to lie on your back on an exam table. After applying gel to your neck, the technologist will move an instrument called a transducer, scan your neck to create images of the carotid arteries, and assess the rate of blood flow within them. The carotids are the arteries that feed oxygenated blood to the brain.
According to the Society for Vascular Surgery, millions of Americans are unaware that they have risk factors for stroke, or that may be at serious risk of death from vascular disorders. These diseases are generally symptomless until a catastrophic event occurs, such as a stroke or ruptured aneurysm. In fact, half of all stroke victims have no prior symptoms. We routinely identify individuals with moderate to severe risk factors for stroke who have no apparent symptoms and appear to be in good physical health. Participating in an Integra Wellness preventive screening provides you and your doctor valuable information about your cardiovascular health, such as:
- Whether or not you have a dangerous underlying asymptomatic condition that needs immediate treatment.
- Whether or not you show mild to moderate risk factors for stroke, which can be proactively managed.
- A baseline or profile, of your personal health at a point in time, based on numeric measurements and ultrasound images taken.
How to Prepare
- Wear a shirt that is open at the collar.
- Do not wear a turtleneck.
- Do not wear any type of large jewelry necklace, if so we will ask that you remove it to better access the area needed to scan.
Are you at Risk?
Up to 80% of strokes can be prevented if risk factors are identified and treated early.Click here to know more